- Be a graduating senior at a Chicago or suburban public or private high school.
- Submit official high school transcripts.
- Submit A.C.T. / S.A.T. Scores.
- Complete an Application Profile (see page 4 of application).
- Submit a typewritten argumentative essay (450 to 500 words maximum) on the following topic:
Perhaps you recognize this poem. If you do, then your mind has probably moved on to the question the next line poses: "I wonder if it’s that simple?" Saying who we are is never simple (read the entire poem if you need evidence of that). Write a truthful page about yourself for us, an audience you do not know—a very tall order. Hughes begins: "I am twenty-two, colored, born in Winston-Salem./I went to school there, then Durham, then here/to this college on the hill above Harlem./I am the only colored student in my class." That is, each of us is of a certain age and of a particular family background. We have lived somewhere and been schooled. We are each what we feel and see and hear. Begin there and see what happens.
- Supply three (3) letters of recommendation. The letters of recommendation shall attest to the applicant’s character and commitment to higher education.
- Submit an official acceptance letter from an accredited college or university.
- Award: $1,000
- Deadline: Applications must be recieved by April 1, 2013